Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 3 - Rangitoto Island

Today we took a half day trip to Rangitoto Island with Fullers.  The island itself is just a barren lava rock island; however it is starkly beautiful.  Us being who we are, we decided to take the guided tour offered by Volcanic Explorer Tours.  The cost was $60 for adults and $30 for kids.  There really wasn't much to see on the island except the amazing volcanic rocks created by the lava which spewed forth over 600 years ago.  There is no electricity, phones or bitumen roads on the island.  Our mode of transportation consisted of a tractor, which was able to manouver the rocky and jagged lava rocks.  The beauty and serenity of the place is astounding and it really makes you stand in awe at the summit as you gaze down towards the shoreline, with a 360 degree of the surrounding area.  The Summit is a sheer 374 step climb - not so challenging when you're fit, unike me - new resolution is to hit the gym all out when I get home.



I loved it, and even though there is no electricity, no roads, no phones or mobile phone reception and no shops - I don't regret spending the money and exploring this barren stark landscape.

I have pictures; unfortunately limited uploading capabilities.

Please come back to check out my entries which I will be working on once we've arrived back home.

I've decided to write a travel piece here and also I'm going to try and sell it and see how I go.  This will be my own work.  I know I can do it.  I am a trained writer!  I will do it.

Tomorrow we've hired a car and we're heading off to the Waitomo Caves.  I can't wait... More pictures and stories to come.

BTW   We met a lovely American couple from Virginia - they were really nice.  I regret not getting their details to keep in contact with them.

I'll try and get back tomorrow, but if not, please come back and check this site out after Thursday.  I'll have plenty of information and photos to share.

Good night.

http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=pinkacquarius

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time....look forward to the photos..Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Great photos indeed. My cousin drove around the island on a test drive for the new Land Rover Range Rover - said it was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.