Saturday, April 09, 2005

My ideal life

This is the way I had always imagined my life, needless to say none of it came true. I wanted to be an accountant - a high powered business woman, married to a business man and my first child at 28. Own my own convertible BMW 3 series by the time I was 25 and a house by the time I was 30. I imagined dinner parties at home with friends and business colleagues. A swimming pool in the backyard and private school for both of my children. A boy named Andrew and a girl names Ashleigh. Having grown up in a working class eastern european family I wanted to be rich, where if I wanted something I could just get it without needing to justify whether I actually needed it. I imagined going on overseas trips and family holidays every year.

This is what happened instead. At 18 I wanted to be an accountant, didn't do well enough at school didn't get into uni, so at 19 I studied accounting at Tafe, did pretty well but not well enough to get into an accounting course at uni, I did get accepted into early european history at griffith and languages at UQ. I started studying these course cross-institutionally, but got sick of going back and forwards so transferred myself into the UQ Arts degree. Completed this course with a double major in journalism. By the time I finished my course I had grown up significantly and realised that there was more to life then just power and money. I do like money but I was ready to admit that money wasn't everything. Married at 27, my first child at 28 - called Andrew, forced to give up work, reliant on one income, hard times were imminent.

I am now older and I would like to get comfortable. I would like to be with someone who is considerate, kind and wants more children. I now have a revised plan, based on my age. I want a life filled with money! Yes, cold hard cash! I am sick of the struggle, the justifications, the going without, I want a house and I want it soon! I want another child and I want someone to support me while I stay at home with the baby. I also want holidays as often as possible. On the home front I want a man who is not afraid of the kitchen, who does not mind sharing household chores. A man I do not have to nag into submission. A man who realises of his own accord when the dishes need washing, when the clothes need to be hung out to dry, the rubbish needs taking out, the floor needs sweeping and mopping, baby's napping needs changing and most of all someone who can put up with my grumpy temperament.

When I actually mean a normal life, I just mean a life where everything is equalled. I have no problem with working for my money as long as my partner is willing to do the same. I have no problem working hard to achieve my goals, but in this day and age and economic climate, doing it alone is almost impossible. I need someone who has similar goals and similar aspirations in life and then I feel that together we can make it.