Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Good Bye, Auf Wiedersehen, Szia, Au revoir, Arrivederci

Ok. I was not going to write about this but it may help.

My parents are moving to Tasmania and I have not said much on this issue but yes it upsets me. You may think I'm being silly and need to grow up but let's face it, we are a close family - up until now that is. I realise that closeness is not related to proximity, but since our arrival in Australia in 1984 I have had no other family except my parents, brother and sister. As a family we have always been close - proximity wise - to each other and now that they have taken the plunge and are moving, I find it a little bit upsetting.

The worse part about all this is trying to explain it to my 4-year-old how far away Tasmania is. Aurelius and I have had maps of Australia out, but I don't think he understands. Tonight we went over to their house for dinner and loaded the car with some of his toys for the return journey home. We loaded the trike and he got really upset because that belongs in mamma's house for when he goes over there to play. Once again we had to explain that mamma & pappa have sold their house and will be moving "very far away, on fri." If we didn't take the trike it will end up in the bin. He doesn't understand, and I feel sorry and trying to think up explanations for when he starts asking me "When are we going over to mamma's house?" "Where is mamma?"

This upsets me very much. Another aspect which upsets me a bit is that I moved across town to get the extra support for when I needed it, being a single mother, I need all the help I can get, when I can get it! I work full-time and attend TAFE at nights part-time, who is going to help me now? I realise these are selfish reasons, but isn't a family supposed to stick together and help each other in their time of need?

On a non-selfish level I am happy for them, I hope they find what they are looking for down there and at least their move will force me to visit Tasmania in the not too distance future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.