Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Movie Review - The Shining

I seem to be going through a phase at the moment and craving to watch scary movies.  I've heard lots of people tell me that 'The Shining' is a very scary movie.  I've avoided it so far, because I haven't been a fan of scary movies, but now because of my phase, I've decided to give it a try.

For anyone, who hasn't seen this movie please read on and for those who have seen this film also read on and see if you agree with my verdict.



The Shining is a 1980 psychological horror film produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick, co-written with novelist Diane Johnson, and starring Jack NicholsonShelley DuvallScatman Crothers, and Danny Lloyd. The film is based on the Stephen King novel The Shining. A writer, Jack Torrance played by Jack Nicholson, takes a job as an off-season caretaker at an isolated hotel. His young son possesses psychic abilities and is able to see things from the past and future, such as the ghosts who inhabit the hotel. Soon after settling in, the family is trapped in the hotel by a snowstorm, and Jack gradually becomes influenced by a supernatural presence; he descends into madness and attempts to murder his wife and son.

The movie runs for a total of 144 minutes, and I'm sorry if you're a fan, but it has been the longest 144 minutes of my life, which unfortunately I will never ever get back!

I know it was made in 1980 and to be fair it is not a bad movie for the era it was made in, but I don't believe it is scary for a minute.  I've seen scarier even when I wasn't going through my scary movie phase.  The scariest part of this movie was the terrible sound effects and the bad acting by all the main actors.  The music is bad enough to send anyone into a psychotic killing frenzy!


The fact that Jack Torrance is played by Jack Nicholson is also a factor contributing to my dislike of this movie.  Again I'm sorry for this, but I cannot stand Jack Nicholson, so to sit through 144 minutes of him is scary enough on its own.  I tried to imagine the star role being played by someone I liked more and even then the movie didn't get more appealing.


I've heard that the original book written by Stephen King is much better than the movie, so that may be an option for me to read it and be the judge, but to be honest I am now somewhat put off even reading the story.

Again, I'm sorry but this movie is a definite thumbs down for me.

















http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=pinkacquarius

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.