Thursday, October 04, 2012

50 Shades of Grey

Ok - so I've succumbed to peer pressure! 

This has content unsuitable for children...view with caution!

Not my style but nevertheless I have and what's done is done!

Do I regret it?  No and Yes.

I don't because the book was somewhat entertaining and a very easy and quick read.

On the other hand, I do because it's 3 days of my life I will never ever get back!

Instead of studying and concentrating on my Uni - I was gallivanting around my bedroom reading books which have no educational value.

Book Covers


What did I get out of this book?

Not much, just some good entertainment and some very thorough education on BDSM.  It certainly is an eye-opener and made me wonder if there are really people out there who are into this kind of sexual kinkiness?

But if I'm honest, I have to admit that some of it sounded kind of exciting and had me questioning myself if I would ever try anything like it if given the opportunity?

Let me run through the characters:

  • We have the very predictable main male character "Mr Christian Grey", who is needless to say tall, somewhat dark and extremely handsome.  But, of course, the positive attributes don't just stop there!  He also happens to be filthy rich, a considerate and very skilled lover, who no doubt is very well endowed.  To top it all off he is also very talented, good at everything, philanthropic and very generous with his money.  Now we know that this is a fairy-tale, because in reality such a man does not exist!  But in fantasy land he is every woman's dream come true :-)
then we have:

  • The very beautiful, naive, skinny, virginal, main female character "Ms Ana Steele".  This charming leading lady is not only all of the above, but she is also smart, intelligent and has a will of iron.  She won't let any man - regardless of his character or bank balance - boss her around.  I think deep down though she is just a little too stubborn and also not possessed of a lot of common sense.  A lot of the story-line could have been avoided if only she wasn't soooo lacking in common-sense.  Nevertheless the character on the whole is endearing and had me rooting for her all the way to the end.  (but that's only because I myself am a closet feminist)
E. L. James then thought up a few extra characters to pad out the story in order to fill 3 whole books of around 500+ pages each.  There was no real purpose in the additional characters as there were no real stories involving them, except in the last book...but I won't discuss details for those who haven't read them!

I found it most admirable that this author could take a very popular, extremely well written and entertaining series of books which were later converted to movies - change the qualities, names and attributes of the main characters - and then come up with a whole story of her own.  I realise that this trilogy saw its beginnings as fan-fiction, but to be able to develop a story such as this with such humble beginnings is admirable.  It got me thinking, if she could do it why can't I?  But I think the answer to that is that the story to pseudo copy has to be something that is very popular and has sold a lot of copies with a potential movie deal in the wings.  If the right story could be nabbed, there is a winner!

Here comes the million dollar question.  Who do you think should play the leading characters of this movie?

My pick for Christian Grey is definitely Matt Bomer.  Check out his fan site!  Unfortunately, some disturbing news is that he may be "too busy".  I don't believe it!  Who would say no to a role like this?  In other news, Ian Somerhalder, is playing it cool, but is willing to step up for the auditions.  Does anyone think he would make a good Christian Grey?  I'm undecided on him as my heart is set on Matt Bomer!
Matt Bomer
      



I'm uncertain about the actor for Ana Steele.  Some suggestions refer to either Ashley Greene or Alexis Bledel.  I personally am leaning towards Alexis Bledel.  Sorry Ashley, but as much as I love you in Twilight - I just don't think the role of Ana is for you.  I think I'm skewed by Twilight, but I can only imagine you as Christian's sister Mia.  I think, in order to distance itself from Twilight, actors should be picked who had nothing to do with the original Twilight series.  This would make the movie feel a little bit more independent and not just a spin-off from the Twilight series.


Alexis Bledel

So what does everyone think?  And now I've added an unofficial trailer starring both my favourite picks - Matt Bomer and Alexis Bledel.




And finally, here is something for the not so faint hearted!  This one is with the delectable Henry Cavill - who, by the way, is also a good choice for Christian Grey.  Enjoy!



Don't let the kids see this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.