Friday, October 28, 2005

WOW!

What a surprise! My phone rang tonight at 9pm and it displayed "private number". I thought it was a company I owe $59.00 to so I answered it all defensive ready to tell them off for ringing at such a late hour. So I say HELLO! and a foreign sounding person is saying hello - hello on the other end - considering I just had an encounter with this company the other day and the lady didn't speak much English I assumed it was the same person - I started to think that if it's them I'm just going to hang up after I said something, but the voice on the other end just kept saying hello and started speaking in a foreign language which seemed vaguely familiar? I thought "is it my mother?" But no, the voice sounded distant and unlike my mother - for those that don't know, my parents moved to Tassie - but the voice was distant like from another country and then it dawned on me, it was my grand-mother! I haven't spoken to her in at least 6 years. She lives in Hungary and it surprised me that she would ring me on my mobile. It was a pleasant and uplifing surprise especially since her and I are not that close.

I've been thinking about her lately, she is 80 this year, and she is doing really well for her age, but unfortunately we don't live for ever and I was thinking the other day how I would love to take Baba over to Hungary and introduce him to his Hungarian relations and how I would love to go back and re-acquaint myself with some of my cousins and aunties and uncles. I was thinking maybe when he is a little bit older, but I just hope it's not too late for my grand-mother. Is around 7 or 8 too young for a child to travel such a long distance? Will they be able to remember such a big adventure? I thought we could go and do a mini European tour and go to Germany - I've never been there, Austria - my favourite country in the whole world, England - never been there, and maybe some other eastern european countries, such as Poland and I would love to go to Russia. I guess will see how mature he is for his age.

Baba and I are going to our first Brisbane Bullets basketball game on Sunday night. I hope he enjoys it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.