Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Disturbed

I saw something very disturbing last night on tv and it has been haunting me ever since. NCIS: New Yord had just finished and another program was starting which featured real life crimes. The name eludes me at the moment but the contents still haunting me.

The gist of the story was that this nerdy looking 13 year old boy had brutally and sadistically murdered a 4-year-old boy. I thought that was terrible until forensic evidence went into further detail about how this pubescent 13-year-old tortured the little boy by stabbing him with a sharp rock, then pouring the boy's drink into the wounds and then sodomising him with a short stick. :-(

At this point, I could watch it no more and actually turned the tv off, but the re-enactment images and voice-over are still with me. My disbelief is how could a 13-year-old boy be so disturbed as to carry out such acts of violence? I remember when I was 13, I was still playing with Barbie dolls and care bears, whereas these days it's all about popularity, fashion and how to be cool! But I digress, what made the whole story worse is that my little boy was turning 4 the next day.

When I am down and I hear atrocities such as this, I always put people I love into the picture - which of course makes things even more unbearable. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the whole world is going down the toilet?

1 comment:

  1. Those sort of shows really get me too. I don't know if it has become more so now that I have children, but often tend to personalise them or imagine those things happening to people I know.

    I sometimes wonder if its some sort of survival instinct. If you can't imagine those sort of things happening in your life, what chance do you have of preventing them from happening?

    As to the world going to pot, well in my opinion, the human race has always had a scarey side. Some aspects are worse today and others are better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.